Welcome to The Frabbish Chronicles

[fr*ab*bish] - fish from the Pisces, rabbit from Chinese astrology smashed together...ME (sort of)

4.29.2008

The Joys of Grooming



Are all females of the human species instinctively programmed to groom? Hair out of place, an un-popped zit, a smudge here or there must be corrected. I find myself scanning my kids or my husband for something to pick or adjust. It's an irrepressible urge. Most women I've talked to also have this strange inclination. Nate is so used to it (he grew up with 4 sisters, not to mention his mother) that he willingly submits to the grooming with amusement at my fascination. I rarely pass a mirror in the restroom without scanning for some "new development". I have to admit, that when the grooming is done, there is a certain satisfaction at having addressed the source of the problem. I'm pretty sure guys don't have this urge. It would be strange for a guy to pick a hair off another guy's suit. This may be due in part to guy's personal bubbles being a bit larger than women's. Also, I don't think guys care so much or notice such irrelevant details. So what is this instinctive urge that we women feel to pick and groom and adjust one another and those we love?

1 comment:

Jillo said...

I don't think you can be a mom and resist the urge to beautify your offspring. (or your spouse!)
I tagged you by the way. You'll have to check out my blog for details. Your welcome!